Search

Saturday, December 1, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Summary:
"Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart."-Goodreads
Rate: 5 out of 5
My thoughts:
I first saw this book at my school library, and fell in love with the cover, but I didnt quite wanna read it, because it was around the time I was still reading the Hunger Games trilogy, and I didn't think I would be able to read both book series at the same time.When I had finally finished the Hunger Games trilogy, I had gottan my paws on the first book in the series, and started reading it, but in the back of my mind, I still had the hunger games wispering, "Came back! Come back to me!". And so, I flung the book as far away as I could, (Not literally. I actually set it down on a very comfertable pink pillow) picked up the hunger games, and read it again.
One of my best friends, Jenny, had asked me for a book to read, and so I told her to read this perticular book. After she finished the book, she told me that she absolutly LOVED it. So I desided to give it another try, and I have to say, I LOVED IT! Thank you Jenny, for unknowingly bringing this book back into my life. :)
I think I must first talk about Grimalkin, and how he is the coolest cat ever. Julie Kagawa manages to perfectly capture the spirit of a cat in Grimalkin (or at least what seems what a cat would be like to me). He had attitude, and was downright awesome. Then there was Puck and Ash. Puck was so much fun! Everything was always a joke, and things he did had me laughing so hard! Ash was more serious and cold, but the little things he did felt really heartwarming.Now I must talk about Meghan. Major props to Julie Kagawa for making Meghan a strong and intelligent female protagonist who remains dedicated to whatever she does. She stands her ground for what she believes in, in this world where pretty much everyone's trying to sway her to their side.
The romance in The Iron King was perfect in the setting. There was none of the gooey, love scenes which sometimes don't seem real. Romance in The Iron King had sparks flying off the page. There was so much anticipation, so many almost moments. I kept thinking they'd finally kiss, and then something else would happen.
Now, now I know you're reading this review and wondering out loud "Well where does she stand on the Puck vs. Ash debate?" but hold on, I'm getting to that! It's just a matter of explaining to you what I love about each of them. Puck is funny, he's wild and one of those characters who just oozes charisma without even trying. On the opposite side of the spectrum (or love triangle if you will?) is the cold, hard, and yet still deliciously attractive Ash. My final verdict? Well, I love them both equally. I'll admit I am leaning a bit towards The Team Ash side, but puck is just soo funny. Once I finish the whole series we will see who I pick. Oh yes, we will see. >:D
Quotes:
“Touch her, and I'll freeze your testicles off and put them in a jar. Understand?”
- Julie Kagawa, The Iron King
“My closet!" hissed the figure. A spiderlike hand darted out and grabbed the doorknob. "My closet! Mine!" And it slammed the door with a bang.”
-Julie Kagawa, The Iron King

No comments:

Post a Comment