Search

Sunday, December 2, 2012

BOOK REVIEW: After Osession by Carrie Jones and Steven E. Wedel

Summary:
"Aimee and Alan have secrets. Both teens have unusual pasts and abilities they prefer to keep hidden. But when they meet each other, in a cold Maine town, they can't stop their secrets from spilling out. Strange things have been happening lately, and they both feel that something-or someone- is haunting them.
They're wrong. Despite their unusual history and powers, it's neither Aimee nor Alan who is truly haunted. It's Alan's cousin Courtney who, in a desperate plea to find her missing father, has invited a demon into her life-and into her body. Only together can Aimee and Alan exorcise the ghost. And they have to move quickly, before it devours not just Courtney but everything around her.
Filled with heart-pounding romance, paranormal activity, and rich teen characters to love-and introducing an exciting new YA voice, Steven Wedel-this novel is exactly what Carrie Jones fans have been waiting for. Meet your next obsession".-Goodreads
Rate: 2 out of 5 stars
My thoughts:
Where to begin?? Well, i'm gonna be 100% honest with you all. I did not like this book very much. The second I saw it at the Barnes and Nobles book self, I thought, "Wow! What a beautiful cover!!". then I the summery for this novel and I was very intrigued, yet slightly wary about reading it because I didn't really think 'scary' books were my thing.i had read "Need" by Carrie Jones and disliked it so much i couldnt finish reading it. So when i saw this book, i decided to give Carrie a second chance.
Unfortunately, all the problems I had with "Need", I had with "After Obsession", but more so. Oh god, I really disliked it. It was really hard to finish, and its a pretty small book. :/ I almost didnt make it to the end, but i made myself a promise that i would at least finish one of her book.
Problem #1: Alan and Aimee have one of the most awkward love affairs I've read in awhile. They fall all over each other almost instantly. They know nothing about each other before they're proclaiming love.
Problem #2: You can't take a caring single mom, who you're supposed to like, and then have her say hateful things about her son to his face and still like her, let alone buy she'd say it in the first place. Alan is half native and there is a lot of talk about how his mom doesn't "like" the traditions he's tryed to adopt to understand that half of his culture.
Problem #3: Exorcism should not be easy. Come on people, with books and movies like the Exorcist and the Exorcism of Emily Rose you know the bar has been set pretty high for demons, exorcisms and scary. So why try a fluffy version where its neatly wrapped up in a few chapters, there's no real damage outside of some furniture, and every one is A-OK, 5 minutes later? I wanted to read some seriously creepy words on the page to make up for all the sickening lovey doveyness, and I was not rewarded.
Problem #4: The front cover of the book is beautiful, but it nothing to do with the actual book itself. And neither does the title. In the book, it says that Amiee has red hair. Not blonde hair. So.......who's the girl on the cover. And the title.....after what obsession? Can someone explain it to me? I didn't notice anyone with an unnatural obsession in this book. At all.
There were two characters I loved. Gramps and Aimees brother Benji. They were sweet, funny and had a wonderful side story going about a Marilyn Monroe shaped Cheeto that they were selling on ebay. Anywho, they missed their opportunity for a great and funny story when they decided that Gramps, Benji and the Cheeto should be a secondary side story. I'm just saying. Cheetos are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment