Search

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Storm (Elemental #1) by Brigid Kemmerer


Summary:
Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.

The storm is coming


Rate: 4 out of 5 stars

My Thoughts:
    This book really reminded me of Altered by Jennifer Rush, even though altered just came out this month, and Storm came out last year! While both books consist of 4 hot guys and a girl being the protagonists, they are really different! In storm, the four hot guys are brothers, and they have......(drum roll please).......SUPER POWERS! LIKE SUPERMAN! hahaha jk! But they CAN control the elements. No, not the periodic table elements...more like water, earth, air, and fire. That kind of stuff. Which I thought was pretty cool. It also reminded me of Avatar: The Last Airbender (which I absolutely love! And so does one of my bestfriends, Nina)
     This book instantly pulled me in. Right when you start reading, BAM! Action in the first few pages. Storm starts off with a fight. Which doesn't happen much. I've read plenty of books, and this is one of the only books that starts off like this. During this fight, Becca manages to save Chris Merrick's life. NO spoilers! But that first chapter is full of win.
     I also really loved the main characters. lets start off with Chris! Chris (our main male protagonist for this book) is handsome and quiet. Poor thing is getting beat up in the first chapter and he didn't even start it. Lucky him,he managed to control water and protect himself! In the first few chapters, you don't know much about Chris but as the story progresses you just can't help falling for him.
 Michael is the "earth" one. He's very responsible and he acts like a parent to them since he's the oldest. Gabriel is the hot headed one. Probably because he's the "fire" one. But he's My favorite character out of all of them!! Nick is the easy-breezy one. He's Gabriel's twin and his power is air. He's the peace keeper. I actually thought there was gonna be a love triangle between Becca, Chris and Nick. But I was wrong.
     Hunter is the new kid at school, who shows and instant interest in Becca. She's attracted to him, as she tries to distance herself from Chris and the dangers associated with him. But Hunter has secrets of his own.
     Becca was a great man character! She was  a strong, self-opinionated girl. She plays her role well. And I love how she uses the self-defense stuff - it intrigues me! :)
     I'm having a hard time now. I love Hunter so much.. But then. I love Chris too, like really bad! *puppy dog face* He's awesome too! WOW. and don't forget about the twins! And Micheal! OH GOD! 5 awesome-adorable-lovely-smart-guys in one single book! It's tormenting and awesome at the same time *sigh* OH HOT DAMN!! *Fans myself*
     SINCE BECCA HAS CHRIS, I GOT DIBS ON GABRIEL!! HE'S ALL MINE!!
     I called a couple of the twists, but some of them literally had me yelling at the book and slamming my forehead against it. I would gasp at things I wasn't expecting and I even had to put down the book and take a deep breath, before continuing with the great story!
    The ending doesn't have a cliffhanger, which is pretty understandable, considering that, the next book in the series will be from Gabriel's POV. (or so they say...)
     Anyway, I really really really really want to read the next book. It
 already came out in stores, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping to go this weekend.

Quotes:

“If you want me to fix your homework, you need to leave me alone.” Then he spotted her. “You’re back.”
“Yeah.” She glanced between him and Gabriel. “You do his homework?”
“Just the math. It’s a miracle he can count to ten.”
“I can count to one.” Gabriel gave him the finger.”
Brigid Kemmerer, Storm

“Nick,” he said. “I think I’m going to need you to bite my arm.”
“I think I’m going to need you to run that by me again.”
Brigid Kemmerer, Storm

“So let me get this straight.”... “He threw the note at Tommy and then told him to fuck off? Or do I have it backwards?”
“I’m detecting some sarcasm.”
“And then got himself sent the principal’s office because he was ready to defend your honor?”
“Quinn.”
“Her friend waved a hand. “No, I think you might be on to something. This is clearly an elaborate plot to screw with you. He asks you out, he defends you from that meathead—what next?” Quinn’s eyes flashed wide in mock surprise. “Crap, Bex, do you think he will do something truly horrible like buy you flowers?”
Brigid Kemmerer, Storm

 “Mom!" Becca stared at her. "You think—you think I'm dating Michael?"
Her mom stared back at her, obviously thrown. "You're not?"
This would be hilarious if her mom didn't look so serious.
"Oh my god," cried Becca. "Are you kidding? Michael is the last person I would ever—oh my god. I wouldn't go out with him if someone paid me. Ugh, that's just—"
"You know I can hear you, right?" called Michael.”
Brigid Kemmerer, Storm













   



No comments:

Post a Comment