Search

Sunday, January 6, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: The Selection (The Selection #1) By Kiera Cass


Summary:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined


Rate: 4 out of 5 stars

My Thoughts:
     The Selection was described as The Hunger Games meets The Bachelor - and if you know me a bit, you know that I love The Hunger Games! (BUT COME ON, WHO DOESN'T) They weren't that much alike, though. But I still loved The Selection. ALOT
    I'm gonna be honest with y'all. The only reason I first bought this book was because of the cover. Just look at it! That dress is Beautiful! Whoever made that dress is a genius. i wouldn't mind wearing that for a day!
    Okay, enough with the cover! This book was great! Kiera Cass wrote a book that was both entertaining and romantic. The whole setting was nice. What really got me clinging to this book, was Maxon! Don't get me wrong! i loved all the characters.....except Aspen (I'll explain later on)
      I loved the story in The Selection so much. It was just a ton of fun – and dystopians aren’t usually fun, per say. (ya know. It's usually blood and guts and WAR WAR WAR) I liked idea of the caste system a lot. And the idea of competing for the Prince’s attention. It was a combination of The Bachelor and Cinderella. And bonus heaviness with the war going on and what not.
      As for the characters in The Selection – I’m usually team original boy, but I honestly really only liked Aspen in the beginning. The other side of the triangle is Aspen. I don't like him. The little slime-ball dumped America because she gave him some food then had the balls to come crying back to her. NO! I hope she ends up with Maxon. When Prince Maxon entered the picture, I was like "Aspen who?"I love Maxon. He is totally misunderstood. He isn't stiff, aloof, mean. He's actually really sweet and CUTE. As for America herself, I was rooting for her the whole time and I liked her. I liked her independence and determination, and I think she’ll end up with Maxon (my opinion).
    All in all, I BETTER GET THE SECOND BOOK ASAP OR I WILL EXPLODE!! DO YOU FEEL MY PAIN, KIERA???
    The ending wasn't necessarily a cliffhanger. You weren't going "GASP! WHAT? DID THAT JUST HAPPEN??". It was more of a "Wow. I need the next book NOW!". Which reminds me.......I need the next book now!

Quotes:

“Do you think the ability to sleep in
counts as a special skill?” I asked Dad, trying to sound torn over the decision.
“Yes, list that. And don’t forget to write that you can eat an entire meal in under five minutes,” he replied. I laughed. It was true; I did tend to inhale my food.
“Oh, the both of you! Why don’t you just
write down that you’re an absolute heathen!” My mother went storming from the room.”
Kiera Cass, The Selection



“...Maxon lowered his lips to mine and gave me the faintest whisper of a kiss.

Something about the tentativeness of it made me feel beautiful. Without a word, I could understand how excited he was to have this moment, but then afraid at the same time. And deeper than any of that, I sensed that he adored me.

So this is what it felt like to be a lady.”
Kiera Cass, The Selection



“Mom was bossy. Even in print I could hear her tone, smugly congratulating me on already earning the prince's affections and telling me firmly to keep up whatever I was doing.
Yeah, Mom, I'll just keep telling the prince that he has absolutely no shot with me and offend him as often as I can. Great plan.”
Kiera Cass, The Selection


“- Just that. Your family must be very different from mine.
- I’d say so. - I laughed. - For one, no one wears their tiaras to breakfast.
- Maxon smiled. - More of a dinner thing at the Singer house?”
- “Of course.”
Kiera Cass, The Selection





    
   


No comments:

Post a Comment