Search

Monday, April 1, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Delirium (Delirium #1) by Lauren Oliver




 


They say that the cure for Love will make me happy and safe forever.
And I've always believed them.
Until now.
Now everything has changed.
Now, I'd rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.
Lena looks forward to receiving the government-mandated cure that prevents the delirium of love and leads to a safe, predictable, and  happy life, until ninety-five days before her eighteenth birthday and her treatment, when she falls in love

Rate: 4 out of 5 stars

My Thoughts:
     In a world where love is a disease and people are 'cured' when they are of age, Delirium is a unique twist on the YA dystopian genre.
     Sixty-four years after love was declared a disease, citizens of the United States are regularly cured as soon as they turn eighteen--sometimes sooner if they are in danger of being infected with amor deliria nervosa. Having seen how the disease affected both her mother and her older sister, Lena is counting down the days until she is cured. Then, only 95 days away from her birthday, Lena meets a boy, and falls in love. Suddenly, Lena realizes that everything she was told, and believed, was a big lie.
     I don't know where to begin. I picked this book up from the library, thinking it was gonna be really corny. Just the whole idea of love being a disease kinda confused me. I kept thinking "Wait...what? How is that even possible?!". But when I finally read it, I actually really liked it.
     Lena is the main character in Delirium. I'm gonna be honest with you guys, and say that, through out most of the book, I hated Lena. I found her a little annoying, and a bit too weak for my taste. It felt like she always needed either Hana, or Alex there to protect her. It wasn't until the part where Lena decides to run away with Alex, that I started liking her...just a little. Small note: Lena kept saying that she was "normal" compared to her gorgeous best friend Hana. I couldn't help but think, that the"I'm so normal" schtick is a little over used. Just saying.
     Alex is Lena's love interest in the book. I actually really like Alex. I found him to be one of my favorite characters. (along with Hana). You don't really know much about him in this book, though. I guess that's why there are three books in this series. Anyway, Alex was a really good character. I basically thought of him as a Knight in shining armor. (Have I gone a little over board?) He was your typical "Too good to be true." boy, with a few secrets shoved up his sleeve. I mean, come on! who won't fall in love with that?!
     The thing is, I didn't quite understand how Lena fit into the plot of the story. Yeah, I get it. She's the main character, but she didn't do anything in the book. (except around the end) Alex was the rebel, not Lena. She didn't have anything to do with the whole war going on. It isn't until the part were she thinks her mom is alive, that she actually starts doing something with he story. But even yet, it had nothing to do with the rest of the story. At least not through my eyes.
     The thing I definitely did NOT expect, was the ending. Everything just went upside down, and then downhill from there. That cliffhanger left me speechless. But it also left me wanting more.
    A thing I really loved was Lauren Oliver's writing style. She had a way of writing seemingly little lines that did an amazing job of showing Lena's naivety, without pretenses.
     I would really love to read the second book from Alex's point of view, but seeing as to how the first book ended, I don't think that would happen. This means I have to put up with Lena for another book. I just hope she grows a backbone or something. I do have to admit, I'm pretty psyched about reading the second book.

Quotes:

 I'd rather die my way than live yours.”
Lauren Oliver, Delirium

“Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That's what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side.”
Lauren Oliver, Delirium

“You can build walls all the way to the sky and I will find a way to fly above them. You can try to pin me down with a hundred thousand arms, but I will find a way to resist. And there are many of us out there, more than you think. People who refuse to stop believing. People who refuse to come to earth. People who love in a world without walls, people who love into hate, into refusal, against hope, and without fear.

I love you. Remember. They cannot take it.”
Lauren Oliver, Delirium

“Everyone is asleep. They've all been asleep for years. You seemed ... awake.' Alex is whispering now. He closes his eyes, opens them again.'I'm tired of sleeping.”
Lauren Oliver, Delirium


    

No comments:

Post a Comment