Search

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Hush Hush( Hush Hush #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick

Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick
Publication:October 13, 2009 by Simon & Schuster BFYR 
A SACRED OATH 
A FALLEN ANGEL
A FORBIDDEN LOVE

Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life
Rate: 4 out of 5 stars

My Thoughts:
     I read this book back in 2010, and I remember really liking this book, but sadly, I still hadn't started this blog by then. So I basically finished it, talked to myself about all the good and bad points of the story, and added it to my shelf, to never be reviewed. Until now. I found it, while cleaning and rearranging my book self, and the first thing that popped into my head was "Oh, this book was good", until i quickly realized that i didn't remember a thing about the book. Just the basics. So I re-read it, right then and there. (I actually skimmed some of the parts I DID remember.)
     In Becca Fitzpatrick's bestseller, Hush Hush, Nora Grey, an average high school student, is struggling with the death of her father. While in her biology class, the teacher makes a new seating arrangement, which brings Nora face to face with the dark and dangerous Patch Cipriano. Nora, then starts having visions of near death experiences, and the feeling that someone is following her. As things get weirder and weirder Nora's life turns into anything but average.
      Lets start with characters. (like always) I really liked Nora, except that, on the second time I read Hush, Hush, she seemed sorta.......stalker-ish. For example: she gets her best friend, Vee, to distract the office ladies, just so she can check out Patch's files. She DOES get to check out his files and find out his last name, right after finding out that Vee forged a bomb threat, as a distraction. Another example: When she and Vee (and 2 other guys, who i don't really remember their names, and am too lazy to open the book up and check) go to a Mexican restaurant (which is where Patch works) she takes a disguise, so that she can question Patch's co-workers. A little weird, don't you think. And by disguise, I mean blond wig, a skirt, fishnet leggings, and some hooker high heels.  Patch eventually catches her, and.......yadda yadda yadda. (NO SPOILERS)
     But to be quite honest with you, these parts really made me laugh. They were things i would have never done, which made for some laugh out loud moments. All and all, Nora was a pretty nice character.
     Now to Patch. Patch was a different story. I really didn't like him. At all. I thought he was just another guy flirting with a girl. Then I started catching on to the fact that he was a fallen angel. I started liking him a little more. AND THEN, I read that, Patch intended to kill Nora the whole time. Then I thought "YES! SOME DRAMA, AND JUST A BIT OF PSYCHO-NESS!" I really started liking this book around that time.
     The thing I liked the most was the writing style. Becca Fitzpatrick's writing really sucked me into the book. It made the characters seem more....Human. And natural. And real. Even though they are anything but. I recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Twilight. Or just YA romance.

Side note: OMG, Look at the cover. Is that not one of the most beautiful covers ever. I actually first bought the book because of the cover. Guilty!! :D

Quotes:

“Say 'provoking' again. Your mouth looks provocative when you do.”
Becca Fitzpatrick, Hush, Hush


“You possess other people's...bodies."
He accepted that statement with a nod.
"Do you want to possess my body?"
"I want to do a lot of things to your body, but that's not one of them.”
Becca Fitzpatrick, Hush, Hush



“I don't go out with strangers," I said.
"Good thing I do. I'll pick you up at five.”
Becca Fitzpatrick, Hush, Hush


“Coach: "All right, Patch. let's say you're at a party. the room is full of girls of all shapes and sizes. You see blondes, brunettes, redheads, a few girl with black hair. Some are talkive, while other appear shy. You've one girl who fits your profile - attractive, intelligent and vulnerable. Dow do you let her know you're interested?"
Patch: "Single her out. Talk to her."
Coach: "Good. Now for the big question - how do you know if she's game or if she wants you to move on?"
Patch: "I study her. I figure out what she's thinking and feeling. She's not gonig to come right out and tell me, which is why i have to pay attention. Does she turn her body toward mine? Does she hold me eyes, then look away? Does she bite her lip and play with her hair, the way Nora is doing right now?”
Becca Fitzpatrick, Hush, Hush

“Cheshvan starts tonight," Rixon said, "What are you doing arsing around in a graveyard?"
"Thinking."
"Thinking?"
"A process by which I use my brain to make a rational decision.”
Becca Fitzpatrick, Hush, Hush

No comments:

Post a Comment