Search

Monday, February 18, 2013

BOOK REVIEW: Angel Burn (Angel #1) by L.A. Weatherly


They're out for your soul. And they don't have heaven in mind... Willow knows she's different from other girls, and not just because she loves tinkering with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into the future and know people's dreams and hopes, their sorrows and regrets, just by touching them. she has no idea where this power comes from. But the assassin, Alex, does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows more about Willow than Willow herself does. He knows that her powers link to dark and dangerous forces and that he's one of the few humans left who can fight them. When Alex finds himself falling in love with his sworn enemy, he discovers that nothing is as it seems, least of all good and evil.
Rate: 5 out of 5 stars

My Thoughts:
     When you think of angels, what do you think?? Holy & heavenly devine? That they are here to watch over us? Help us? Guide us through life and to our final resting place there after?
 After reading this book, all that will change!
     Willow lives a normal life, but seems to make the most out of it. She has never known her dad and has spent her entire life taking care of her mother. Her mother has had a serious mental condition that just seems to get worse. She is always staring out at nothing, living in another dreamland, while back in reality, Willow struggles to take care of her. Living with her aunt isn't exactly making it any better. All Willow knows is that she is doing the best she can, considering her mom is almost catatonic. Willow also happens to be physic but since her mother isn't really available, there is no telling if she inherited the trait. In fact she didn't realize that everyone wasn't the same way, until she was 5. Just when it seemed like Willow's life was pretty much set the way it was, Beth, the popular girl, asked her for a reading. Lets just say that after what she saw, her life was never going to be the same. Not only did Beth know that angels existed, but she also knew their dirty little secret.
     Then Alex shows up! And you may not know this, but Alex is an angel hunter. When he goes out to hunt angels, he finds Willow, and soon realizes that Willow isn't a normal angel. Nope...Willow is really different. And he really really hates her....but then finds himself slowly falling in love with her.
     This book was like a breath of fresh air. It was so amazing. The way L.A. Weatherly switched up the whole idea of angels was really really awesome.
     Now to the characters! Willow was not my favorite character at first. Actually, I kind of hated her. She was too shy and weak and BLAH!  But she eventually grew on me. She became a strong character. Her eventually grabbed me and touch my heart! Although sometimes I still found her a bit annoying, I eventually realized that I was just getting jealous because I wanted Alex all for me. :/ Whats a lady gonna do? :)
     Alex....is freaking awesome! Alex's life isn't anything like a normal 17 year old boy. He is wise beyond his years sometimes. But he acts so sweet and strong and that was really great! It's like perfect. You can even make him! THE ALEX CAKE: Get a bowl and mix in  a cup of Tough Attitude with a cup of Sweet Attitude. Add a dash of Quiet and a pinch of Talkative. Mix well and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 min. Let cool and enjoy your super awesome new ALEX! Plus he's hot, so that like icing on the cake!
     The story line was awesome too! the whole evil angels thing was unexpected.  But really unique and interesting. L.A. Weatherly did a great job with the writing. The book alternates between Willow and Alex, and sometimes some other characters too. So keep an eye out for that. Alot of people hate that, but I've read enough books, with alternating perspectives, that i actually kinda like it now!
     In a nutshell, this book was great! I recommend this book to everyone. What did you guys think of this book?

Warning: Please do not try the Alex cake at home without parental supervision.


Quotes:

“I couldn't meet his gaze. I stared at the table just behind him--the mess of cards on it, the lantern giving off its quiet glow. "When you gave me your shirt to wear that night, I could feel you. I could feel your essence."

The world went still. We were standing only inches from each other, not touching. Outside, I could hear the faint murmur of the wind blowing through the trees.

"What did it feel like?" he asked in a low voice.

"Like...coming home," I admitted.”
L.A. Weatherly, Angel

“I had my arms around his waist, smiling as I looked up at him. Being with Alex made me so completely happy, in an easy, uncomplicated way that I hadn't felt since I was a small child. "I love you," I said. In the five days we'd been there, it was the first time I'd said the words to him in English; they just slipped out.

Alex's expression went very still as he looked down at me, his dark hair stirred by the slight breeze. I picked up a sudden wave of his emotions, and they almost brought tears to my eyes. Gently, he took my face in his hands and kissed me.

"I love you, too," he said against my lips.”
L.A. Weatherly, Angel

“A framed photo on a dusty bookshelf caught his attention; he moved closer and picked it up silently. A small girl with long blond hair was standing under a tree, her face tilted up in delight as its feathery leaves brushed across her face, framing it.
A willow tree. Willow.” 
L.A. Weatherly, Angel

“A good angel is only a dead angel.”
L.A. Weatherly, Angel




No comments:

Post a Comment